Kingfisher Place

Articles, thoughts and opinions about poetry, books and writing... If you're here for the first time, scroll down for the introductory post to get a feel for the site.

Sunday, November 14, 2004

An Evening With Yanni

No, it's not as bad as it sounds.


Actually, confession... I am a big Yanni fan. When I first saw the Acropolis show on PBS back in '93, I believe, I got hooked. The music was incredible, the scenery historic, and Yanni himself was mermerizing... he was so totally into the music, you could tell he felt every note, and you could also tell that doing those shows there in Greece were a dream come true for him. So not only was there the music and all to feel, I could also feel his excitement and thankfulness for getting to do something on that grand a scale. So I got hooked. Bought more of his CDs... got the Acropolis show on DVD... could that be why I grow my hair long?... I'll never tell.

But why talk about Yanni here? Well, don't worry, this all pertains to writing, I promise you. See, Yanni put out a book a few years back, all about his life, called "In Words". Of course, being the good fan that I am, I went right out and got it... hardcover even... to keep nice... for posterity. And it was actually a very good read, to learn about his life and early years in music... how he struggled to find his dream and means of expression... the standard biography rises and falls, and then ultimately - success. And somehow, snuck in the midst of this story, he also wrote about his work, creativity and inspiration. He made some brilliant points too, which I feel relate to any type of creativity or expression... poetry and writing included.

And I quote...

"Will everybody like what I like? Absolutely not. That's impossible. As soon as you put your art out there for people, some will say, "Because it's blue, I love it", and for the exact same reason the next guy will say, "Because it's blue, I hate it". Once you understand that, there's a freedom in the creative process. Otherwise your creation is just a reaction to criticism."

To me that is a very strong point, one I think every poet and writer should think long and hard about. Because to me criticism is the killer to a lot of potential and even established writers. I have met so many people online through the years who are afraid to post and share their work for just that reason - criticism... what will other people say about it? Writers are fragile people, for the most part... and I don't mean that in a weak way. It's that way with anyone who creates something from their heart and life and deepest love, and then puts it out there for others to take in... and a negative word can be very bruising.

But criticism is something you have to distance yourself from. You have to stand on the belief that your art, your writing, is worth something to you, and that it says what you want it to say... end of point. Once you feel that, and believe that, then the criticism doesn't matter. You won't feel it, because you know you're doing what is right for you. Now, if what you're doing doesnt feel right in that way, then you need to examine what you are doing and decide if it is the right path for you. Heck, I drove myself nuts for years wanting to write short stories and novels. It was all frustration, because those are writing forms that I just can't get into. So I re-found poetry, and realized that that is where my work lay... (that and these lengthy digressions on writing :P). So now when I write something, I know that for me, it says what I want it to say. I don't care if someone says it's too short or too long, not enough this or that... it's how I want it to be, it's how I want to present it... case closed. Yes, criticism can still sting a bit, but it's not going to rock my world and make me hide away my work from the world - and I hope I remember these words of my own should that dark day ever appear, lol.

It's just like the quote says, in its own way - you can't please the world, you can't please everyone... don't try it, cause then it will show in your work. You'll become a trend chaser, running after what others say is the "In" thing, instead of writing about what's important to you. Always be true to your purpose. Everyone has an audience out there for their work. It's a big world, there are others out there who will read your work and love it, relate to it, and let it into their lives. It might be a small audience... there might not be an Acropolis for you to stand in... but some people will be touched, and will know you, and know themselves, in your work. If you stay true to yourself.

I can give another example... my boss at the bakery... early on when they took over the place they tried to please every customer, and it's a dirty secret maybe about retail, but you can't logically do that. One person is going to come in one day and say "Your bagels are too light!"... and the next day another will say, "Your bagels are too dark!"... same case as the one Yanni made... and you can drive yourself crazy trying to keep up. You eventually have to make a stand and say, "This is how our bagels are... if you're not happy with that, there's a 7-11 down the street."

Another quote from Yanni...

"No one likes rejection, and I'm no exception. But if you're an artist you must expect rejection. It comes with the territory. Be prepared for it. Your reaction to rejection is what's important. If it overtakes you and fills you with self doubt, fear and insecurity, then it can be very destructive."

Change the word "rejection" to "criticism" - it's the same thing, almost... and what gets destroyed - someone's will to write and share... someone's openness to the world... another voice is lost. And voices are needed. We all write, first and foremost, for ourselves... either to purge bad thoughts or memories, or to share something of our lives and the beauty and love we see... but we all also have some desire to share this with others. It's a light that shouldn't be hidden away. Most people criticize out of their own lack of talent or internal peace. They're not happy, and they hate to see someone else happy doing what they love... so out come the barbed words, the hooks are set and then comes the cut. But if you cultivate your belief in your work, in its value and meaning to you, then you can survive this. It can be done. Free yourself from other people's expectations... your words will not fly off into the wind... they will reach others.

I hate more than anything to hear of someone afraid to share their poetry. Everything we write is a step. Think of it that way. And yes, at the start, unless we're a genius or prodigy, our early writings will be rough. But I'll say it again - everything we write is a step, and tho' it may not seem that way, it is also a step forward. There is a learning that comes from everything we write, even the bad stuff. But don't hide it, don't hide your growth, both as a person and as a writer... share your words and yourself. Write. Read. Take another step.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home